T-Mobile Long Distance Rates & Add-Ons
T-Mobile is one of America’s four major cell phone carriers—the others being Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint. T-Mobile has the second-best coverage in the country, with its 4G LTE network covering 59% of the U.S. T-Mobile offers reasonably priced phone plans with great features.
About T-Mobile’s long distance and domestic rates:
- You won’t incur roaming charges while traveling in the U.S.
- T-Mobile’s 4G LTE network covers all of the East Coast and most of the West Coast
- You can only use 200MB of data while roaming on partner networks
- International pay-per-use calling rates vary by country
- You can add on Stateside International for $15/month
T-Mobile Domestic Talk & Text Rates
T-Mobile plans come with nationwide talk and text already included, which means you won’t incur any roaming charges, regardless of where you travel in the U.S.
Plus, you’re bound to have quality coverage with T-Mobile’s robust 4G LTE network. Its network covers the majority of the country, with partner networks making up for any gaps in coverage. Keep in mind that a section of T-Mobile’s network includes their 600 MHz spectrum, which not all smartphones can access. Check out T-Mobile’s coverage map below.
Lastly, although T-Mobile has a solid network, it does still have some gaps. Because of this, T-Mobile partners with other networks to provide you with service where it does not yet have network coverage. This is known as domestic roaming. There is no additional fee for domestic roaming, but you are limited to using 200MB of domestic roaming data per billing cycle. You will receive a free alert via text message to notify you when you’ve used 80% of your monthly domestic roaming data and another when you’ve used 100%.
Calling Mexico and Canada
T-Mobile’s Magenta, Magenta Plus, and T-Mobile ONE Prepaid plans include unlimited calls to Mexico and Canada. Here’s what else these perk-heavy T-Mobile plans include:
- $70 Magenta: DVD-quality streaming, unlimited text and talk and 5GB of data in Canada and Mexico, 3GB of 4G LTE mobile hotspot, unlimited texting in 210+ countries, unlimited 2G data abroad, and Netflix subscription
- $85 Magenta Plus: HD streaming, unlimited text and talk and 5GB of data in Canada and Mexico, 20GB of 4G LTE mobile hotspot, unlimited texting in 210+ countries, unlimited 256kbps data abroad, and Netflix subscription (two screens)
- $70 ONE Prepaid: DVD-quality streaming, unlimited talk and text and 5GB of data in Canada and Mexico, unlimited 3G mobile hotspot, unlimited texting in 210+ countries, and unlimited 2G data abroad.
If you’re currently on a grandfathered T-Mobile phone plan and you want unlimited calling to Mexico and Canada, you can login to My T-Mobile and upgrade your plan to Magenta, Magenta Plus, or One Prepaid.
International Calling Add-Ons
Stateside International, which costs $15/month, allows you to make unlimited calls from the U.S., Mexico, and Canada to select countries, plus send unlimited texts to virtually anywhere. You can call landlines in more than 70 countries, and mobile phones in more than 30 countries. Plus, you get discounted rates to virtually the rest of the world. This feature can be added onto all postpaid plans and any prepaid plans costing $40/month or higher.
Some popular countries you can call with Stateside International include:
- Vietnam (landline)
- Japan (landline)
- Russia (landline)
- Spain (landline)
- Dominican Republic (landline)
- Brazil (landline)
T-Mobile’s Long Distance Calling Rates
T-Mobile’s international calling rates vary depending on the country you’re calling. Calling rates to popular destinations include:
- Mexico: $1.00/minute
- Canada: $1.00/minute
- India: $3.00/minute
- China: $3.00/minute
- Cuba: $3.00/minute
- Dominican Republic: $3.00/minute
- Philippines: $3.00/minute
- Vietnam: $5.00/minute
- El Salvador: $3.00/minute
- Haiti: $3.00/minute
- Jamaica: $3.00/minute
- Puerto Rico: $0.00/minute (U.S. territory)
- South Korea: $3.00/minute
- Guatemala: $3.00/minute
- Colombia: $3.00/minute
- United Kingdom: $3.00/minute