Rogers has just launched a new service to connect your car. You'll need a Share Everything plan and a vehicle with an OBD-II (On Board Diagnostics version 2) port to get started. The port is installed in most cars manufactured since 1996, but if you're not sure then you can check using this tool from Rogers. From there it just takes 6 simple steps to connect:
- Download the Rogers Smart Drive app created by Vancouver-based company Mojio (for iOS and Android) and follow the prompts
- Create your account
- Install the micro SIM card from Rogers into your Smart Drive device, created by ZTE
- Scan the IMEI barcode using the app
- Install the Smart Drive device into your vehicle's OBD-II port
- To sync your device to the app just drive!
What does Smart Drive do?
- Keep your Family Safe: Monitor driving activity, get speed alerts, track your carís location, and get notified when your family members arrive safely, all in real-time.
- Stay Connected with In-Car Wi-Fi: Keep the family connected on the go by connecting up to 5 devices to your carís Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Stay Safe on the Road: Receive engine alerts, diagnose car trouble and be alerted to disturbances to your vehicle.
Leroy Williams, Vice-President of Rogers Communications said, "Consumers are looking for more ways to stay connected wherever they are. Of the 24 million cars on Canada's roads today, over three-quarters don't have Wi-Fi or any connectivity features. We're excited to be the first carrier to introduce this kind of device to Canadians. Now, families can have peace of mind about their car maintenance and safety and can connect to the things and people they love worry-free."
Rogers Smart Drive costs just $15 per month to add onto your Share Everything plan, and comes with 1 GB of bonus shareable data for 12 months after joining. There is also a one-time hardware cost for the Smart Drive device; either $99 with a 2-year contract, or $199 with no set term.
For more information visit www.rogers.com/smartdrive.
About Rogers: Rogers is a leading diversified Canadian communications and media company that's working to deliver a great experience to our customers every day. We are Canada's largest provider of wireless communications services and one of Canada's leading providers of cable television, high-speed Internet, information technology, and telephony services to consumers and businesses. Through Rogers Media, we are engaged in radio and television broadcasting, sports, televised and online shopping, magazines, and digital media. Our shares are publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RCI.A and RCI.B) and on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RCI).