Samsung officially announced the Galaxy S5 at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona today. The much-anticipated flagship device is slated to launch in 150 countries on April 11. Samsung has launched a contest (US residents only, sorry fellow Canucks) that lists the daily prize – a Samsung Galaxy S5 device – with an ARV (approximate retail value) of $700. So, that gives us our ballpark of the retail price. We assume with a 2-year contract the price will be in the $200-$300 range. The design is reminiscent of a pegboard on the back. It will be available in four colours, black, white, blue and gold – the last of which is being (un)affectionately compared to a Band-Aid.
Notable features are the fingerprint scanner (previously seen on the iPhone 5s), heart rate sensor, IP67 certification (water and dust resistant) and MIMO ("two internal antennas to double the connection and accelerate the speed of your Wi-Fi").
Samsung Galaxy S5 Features
- Android 4.4.2 (KitKat)
- 5.1" FHD Super AMOLED display
- 2.25 GHz quad-core processor
- 16 MP camera with selective focus and HDR video
- IP67 certified - water resistant and dust proof
- Download Booster & MIMO (Multi-Input Multi-Output)
- Finger Scanner & Heart Rate Sensor
- S Health fitness tracker
- Power saving mode
Compare the Galaxy S5 to its predecessors, the S4 and S III by clicking here.
Update: Carriers confirmed (click links for information & pre-registration pages):
- Canada: Bell, Rogers, TELUS, EastLink, Fido, MTS Mobility, SaskTel, Videotron & Virgin Mobile.
- US: AT&T, MetroPCS, Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular & Verizon Wireless.
For first impressions, check out this video from YouTube user Marques Brownlee.
For full Samsung Galaxy S5 features, specifications, images, downloads and reviews, please click here.