What network does Koodo operate on?
You’ll be glad to know that Koodo runs on Canada’s coast-to-coast 4G TELUS network covering 99% of Canada's population. So your coverage will stretch from east to west and north to south. And of course, you can always roam south of the border.
What is extended coverage?
Extended coverage gives you wider phone coverage, beyond the coverage area of Koodo’s HSPA+/LTE network, and is provided through our wireless carrier partner.
Extended coverage is available to Koodo monthly postpaid customers with HSPA+/LTE phones. Your primary residence and billing address must be within Koodo’s HSPA+/LTE coverage areas to use it. Using extended coverage won’t affect your usage or billing.
Extended coverage areas:
- The Sarnia Extended Local Calling Area includes Detroit, Ann Arbor, Monroe, Port Huron, Port Sanilac, Flint, and Pontiac.
- The Windsor Extended Local Calling Area includes Windsor, Leamington, Detroit, Ann Arbor, Monroe, Flint and Port Huron.
How do I switch between Koodo’s HSPA+/LTE coverage areas and extended coverage areas?
When you travel between Koodo’s coverage areas to extended coverage areas, your call or data session will disconnect. It’ll take a few seconds for your phone to reconnect on the extended network.
Once connected, you’ll see "EXT” instead of "Koodo” at the top of your phone’s screen. You’ll need to redial your call or restart your data session.
Once you’re outside of Koodo’s HSPA+/LTE coverage area, your phone will automatically connect to the extended network.
What is the difference between Koodo's extended coverage and HSPA+/LTE coverage?
Available data speeds in the extended coverage areas are lower than what’s currently available on Koodo’s HSPA+/LTE network. That means data applications like video streaming and file downloads will take longer to load. Some applications might even be unavailable in these areas.
The use of voice, text, and data is limited to a maximum of half of your total monthly usage for each service. If you go over the limit, access to the extended coverage may be turned off.
Will I be charged extra for long distance calls within Canada?
Canada-wide long distance Koodo is giving Canadian long distance service charges the boot! Their Canada-wide plans let you call anywhere in Canada without paying long distance service charges. That means worry-free calling coast to coast. All long distance calls do still use anytime minutes though!
What kind of long distance options are available for Prepaid plans?
If you have one of Koodo's Canada-wide base plans, long distance charges will apply when you call a number outside of Canada. For all other plans, long distance charges apply when you call a number outside of the local calling area you’re currently in. This is also the case when you receive calls while outside of your local calling area. For example:
- If your local calling area is Toronto, you can make or receive calls within Toronto without being charged for long distance.
- If you're visiting Vancouver, you can also call anyone in within that local calling area without getting being charged. But if you receive calls while in Vancouver, long distance charges will apply (even if they’re from within Vancouver).
What kind of travel and roaming options are available for Prepaid plans?
You can roam in the U.S. with a Prepaid plan, but you first need to purchase a U.S. Roaming Booster add-on
for your phone to work. Roaming services are available in all 50 States in the U.S. (including Alaska and Hawaii) as well Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
What is Easy Roam?
With Easy Roam® you can use your existing phone plan when you travel abroad. Easy Roam costs $7/day in the U.S. and $10/day in 100+ international destinations. You're only charged for the days you use your monthly plan's minutes, data or texts. Learn more about Easy Roam here
I will be staying in another country for more than a day and don't want to use Easy Roam. What I should I do?
If you’re travelling internationally and want to use a local number during your stay, you can always unlock your phone before your trip and buy a local SIM card at your destination. To unlock your phone, call Koodo at 1-866-99-KOODO (1-866-995-6636). All phones are sold unlocked by law in Canada since December 2017, but just in case you have an older phone you can call to get it unlocked easily any time.
What is the Seasonal Hold Plan?
Koodo has a Seasonal Hold Plan for just $15/month for 6 months so you can keep your Koodo phone number and account open while traveling outside of Canada. This plan temporarily suspends your wireless services, including voice, data and text messages. A few things to know:
- The Seasonal Hold Plan is available only to customers who are leaving Canada for more than 1 month.
- To be eligible, your account must be in good standing and active for at least 90 days.
- After you switch over to the Seasonal Hold Plan, your previous monthly plan may no longer be available. But you will be able to choose from any of our latest monthly plans.
- If you have a monthly Tab charge, you'll keep paying for your Tab charge in addition to the Seasonal Hold Plan.
- Only 911 calls can be placed while on the Seasonal Hold Plan