As per our story back in January, TELUS' CDMA networks start a nationwide shutdown today. Being that Koodo is a subsidiary of TELUS, Koodo customers are also affected and will need to upgrade to HSPA within the next 90-days.
Why is Koodo shutting down CDMA?
"CDMA technology is reaching the end of its service life. It has become increasingly difficult to maintain the CDMA network with the quality and support that our customers have come to expect and deserve." - Koodo
Why is the HSPA network better?
"Lots of reasons! Faster data speeds, great selection of the latest smartphones, convenient and modern SIM card technology, expanded (and growing) reliable coverage." - Koodo
Can customers keep their plan and phone number on upgrade?
- Until June 19th: Customers can still keep their phone number and their current rate plan.
- After June 19th, until September 17th: Customers can keep the same phone number but must select from the following 2 options:
- Get a Alacatel A392CC for $0.
- OR get a $100 discount on any new phone.
- After September 18th: Customers are no longer guaranteed the same phone number or rate plan. They will also be considered a completely new customer - meaning they will need to make a new account, which includes passing a credit check again.
About Koodo Mobile: Koodo Mobile is a Canadian mobile flanker brand started by Telus in 2008 and mostly oriented toward younger customers. Koodo differs from its parent Telus by not requiring a fixed term contract. Koodo currently provides postpaid and prepaid services. Being a subsidiary of Telus, Koodo has been able to offer extensive coverage and a strong presence in mobile retailers. This allowed Koodo to gain a presence nationwide. The brand name is a variation of the Ancient Greek word "κῦδος" (the ascendant to the English word "kudos"), meaning "praise, renown, glory" and more recently "acclaim for something well done". - Wikipedia